Organic Materials Management
Compost and Mulch
Composting, nature's own way of recycling, is the controlled decomposition of organic material such as leaves, twigs, grass clippings, and food scraps.
Compost is the soil amendment product that results from aerobic composting. Whether it's done on site, at the point of waste generation or in a large-scale, centralized facility, composting helps to keep the high volume of organic material out of landfills and turns it into a product that is useful for soil restoration.
Small-scale on-site composting reduces the cost of hauling materials to the landfill and is generally exempted from solid waste regulations. Consult current composting regulations and contact your Local Enforcement Agency for guidance on any local permit requirements prior to beginning a compost project.
Large-scale compost facilities handle more material and typically produce a more consistent compost product, and they are required to comply with regulatory and permitting standards.
Mulch is the soil covering used to control weeds or erosion, retain moisture in soil, and insulate soil from cold weather. Organic materials commonly used for mulch include wood chips, ground up landscape trimmings, shredded bark, coarse compost material, straw, and shredded paper.
- Homeowner Resources
- Producers of Compost and Mulch
- Government Agencies: Procurement
- Compost Demonstration Projects
- Compost Use in Agriculture
- Additional Resources
- Compost Pile Microbes
- Compost Tea
- Compost--What Is It?
- Food Scrap Management
- GreenScapes--Environmentally Friendly Landscaping
- Home Composting
- How to Compost: Composting Instructions
- Landscaper's Guide
Producers of Compost and Mulch
- Air Emissions Reduction from Composting and Related Facilities
- Compost and Mulch Producers
- Facility Operation Resources
- Infrastructure Surveys
- Locating Compost and Mulch Facilities
- Permits and Regulations
- Water Cross Media Coordination For Compost Use and Production
Government Agencies: Procurement
- CalRecycle Compost/Yard Trimmings Publications
- Pests/Threats Which Affect Green Material Movement in California
- U.S.EPA Composting Publications
- Wood Waste
Organic Materials Management http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Organics/